Josh Brolin cast as Thanos
The biggest, baddest, world-destroying-est villain has been cast for the Marvel Universe movies…
And it’s the guy who played George W. Bush.
Sounds about right.
(OMG, JK, Republicans.)
*Ahem.* Okay, well, political humour aside…
A little bit about Thanos:
- He has a floating space throne.
- He courts death.
- His name actually comes from the Greek word “thanatos,” which literally means “death” so I guess he’s courting himself.
- Insert joke about self-love here.
- But really, the most important thing is that he’s after the Infinity Stones (seen set into the gauntlet he’s wearing in the comic book image above), which will grant him strength with the attributes of space, mind, soul, reality, time, and power, and which he uses in the comics to try and destroy the entire universe.
- He’s pulling the strings of some of the other villains.
- The tesseract in The Avengers was one infinity stone, and it’s rumoured that Guardians of the Galaxy will be featuring another.
- Thanos is supposedly appearing both in Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
A little bit about Brolin:
- He’s got the grit, having played the titular role in Jonah Hex.
- He’s got the SciFi background, having played the above character and a young Agent K in MIB3.
- He’s versatile, going from a blundering crook in the Goonies to a controversial US President to a Vietnam Veteran with a hunting obsession in No Country for Old Men.
- He’s an award-winning actor.
So will it work? Personally, I think Brolin will do a fine job, both due to his own record as an actor, and also due to the fact that, so far, the Marvel Studios casting choices have been pretty spot on.
For a point of reference, here’s the post-credits scene from The Avengers:
As always, we here at TFP love to hear back from readers, so please drop us a line. Even though he has already been cast, what do you think?
Josh Brolin as Thanos.
Yea or nay?
Posted on June 3, 2014, in 2014 Movies, 2015 Movies, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel Comics, Movie News and tagged Avengers, casting news, guardians, infinity gems, infinity guantlet, infinity stones, Josh Brolin, marvel, thanos, the collector. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.